Our Current Blog Articles
November 21, 2017
Common Gutter Problems
Are you aware of the common gutter problems that can cause unnecessary damage to your home? Alpine Gutters & Downspouts in Denver wants you to be armed with important information, so you can keep your gutter system running smoothly for years. On average, gutters should last about 20-30 years, depending on the maintenance done, weather conditions of your area, and type of gutters installed. If you notice any problems on your existing gutters, don't delay with repairs!
Here are some common gutter problems you may encounter:
- Clogged Gutters- Without seasonal gutter cleaning, the accumulation of leaves, nests from animals, seeds, snow, etc., will cause some severe backup of water and eventual damage. Not only will it start to decompose, but it can also be a fire hazard and a significant problem for your roof and shingles. You may also get flooding in a basement, foundation cracking, soil erosion, dry rot of fascia boards, paint damage, window damage, mold, and landscaping damage.
- Sagging Gutters- The weight of all that debris clogging your gutters will now pose an even more significant problem with a sagging gutter. Look for weak areas that may be close to breaking off or bending. If you notice this issue, you will probably need to replace the hardware hangers that support the gutter system. If it is too far gone, you may need a complete gutter replacement.
- Leaks or Holes- This is one of the most common gutter problems in Denver homes. If you notice water leaking from any point along the system, you will need to either replace that section or seal up the holes. There are various patch kits available, but again, you may want to have a professional come as they have the proper equipment and products to ensure a clean gutter repair.
- Damaged Gutters- Gutters that are dented or dinged by weather, debris or ladders slammed against them, should be dealt with promptly to avoid worse damage. Inspecting for damage often will keep you one step ahead of the game!
- Improperly Pitched Gutters- This issue will cause standing water to form in the gutters after a rainstorm. The general rule of thumb for a properly pitched gutter is a quarter inch for every ten feet of gutter. This is something you may want to consult with the professionals at Alpine Gutters & Downspouts about.
- Inadequate Gutter Systems- Each home is unique with what type of gutter system it will need. There are many to choose from, such as copper, aluminum, vinyl, and more. Depending on your budget, size of home, weather conditions and roof slope, let the professionals help you out with what new gutter options will suit your property best. With maintenance at least twice annually, you should never run into any serious problems.
Common gutter problems are just part of being a homeowner, but the right gutter system is your best defense against the elements. Get a heads up on information about the best gutter system, repairs, maintenance, and more from an honest and qualified company like Alpine Gutters & Downspouts in Denver. We have everything you need under one roof and we are enthusiastic to get your home ready for winter. Call today for a free quote.
November 11, 2017
Choosing Commercial Rain Gutters
When choosing commercial rain gutters, Alpine Gutters and Downspouts in Denver can help out enormously. We are the specialists when it comes to protecting your business with commercial rain gutters that will fully protect your commercial property from the elements and keep you in compliance with current laws and codes.
Gutters come in various sizes, styles, and materials. Here are some of the options to ponder when choosing commercial rain gutters:
The nice thing about aluminum is it can be painted to match your structure, whatever color you choose. They are high-quality aluminum usually, and therefore won't rust. This commercial gutter can prevent dangerous leaks that often come from sectional gutters, and they use screws instead of long nails, which gives them a more permanent fit, and they fit easily in budgets.
Very appealing to look at, copper gutters are often used when restoring historic homes, creating that old-fashioned look. If your business is located in a repurposed residential space, you can create a classic look by adding copper gutters, but material costs are higher than conventional gutters. As far as durability, you will get many years out of this type of gutter.
Galvanized Steel Gutters
Seamless galvanized steel gutters are great for a large roof, such as a commercial building, because they can handle an immense amount of water flow. They do tend to rust easily, which can lead to leaks. However, an ongoing gutter maintenance program and tending to rust early with repairs will keep these gutters in great shape.
Gutter Styles to Choose From
K Style Gutters
Square or angular commercial gutters are popular but will require some maintenance and cleaning from time to time.
Half Round Gutters
These drain water a lot better and are recommended for commercial buildings.
Choosing seamless or seamed gutters is a choice, but for a commercial property, it will almost always be the seamless version. Seamless gutters and downspouts will rarely leak because they do not have a seam or weak area of construction. Virtually all professional installers for commercial properties can custom make them fit the dimensions of your building.
Downspouts vs. Rain Chain
Downspouts do a great job of taking a significant amount of water from the roof and directing it away from your landscaping, foundation, and other areas of the property to where you want it to go. However, they can make the building or home look unattractive. If you are going for a unique look, the Rain Chain, which comes in many colors, materials and can even be ornamental, can give an appealing look to any structure. However, it will not take large amounts of water pouring down it, and may not be suitable for all spaces.
Alpine Gutters and Downspouts want you to know that choosing commercial rain gutters is a breeze when you have the professionals helping. We take into account your budget, concerns, size of building or home, and weather patterns. Let us help you get the right commercial rain gutters installed as soon as possible!
October 16, 2017
The Importance of Clean Gutters
The importance of clean gutters cannot be overstated, and Alpine Gutters & Downspouts is one company that truly does understand how significant this task is when it comes to protecting your home. Here we provide you with a few great reasons why gutters should be properly cleaned at least twice a year. Just be sure to give yourself a little extra time when the season arrives, and make a small checklist of what needs to be accomplished for your gutter system.
Gutter systems are your home's defense for keeping water and snow from damaging your foundations, roof, walkways, driveway, and landscaping. If leaves, nests or debris become clogged within your system, this only spells disaster, and many headaches to deal with. This can all be avoided with simple gutter cleaning and proper maintenance.
If you don’t understand the importance of clean gutters, here are some issues that you will notice if your gutter system is ignored:
If the water runoff does not have a clean pathway, it will drip down the sides; this causes the siding to rot, and even pull away from the side of the house, causing unsightly stains on your siding and creating ice dams in the gutters in the winter. The roof may also show signs of rotting, which may lead to replacing tiles and replacing the gutter system to rectify the issue.
The home’s foundation can also be affected because the gutters send water to part of the yard or area around your house that can absorb it. But when the gutters are broken or overflowing, the water drips down, causing cracks which will eventually make their way into the basement or other susceptible areas. Mold and rot indoors will be the end result, and it can even chip away at the foundation of the home, causing outrageously expensive repairs in the future, not to mention toxic molds.
Not only will a bird's nest or small rodents nest cause clogging in your gutters, but they also attract larvae from mosquitoes and other flies or insects, which may carry diseases. The importance of clean gutters is that by keeping this type of debris out of your system, you’ll protect not only yourself but your family and fellow animals friends. Illnesses such as West Nile virus are extremely dangerous for children and pregnant women but are easily avoided by eliminating potential breeding grounds for larvae. Do not provide a hospitable home in your gutter systems for these creatures, as everyone will suffer for it!
By protecting your gutters, you are in a sense protecting your home from safety hazards too. But it is also important to mention that cleaning your gutters can be a dangerous job, especially for the elderly, or where there may be a greater chance of falling because of the height of the roof or the temperatures outdoors. Don't ever try to clean your gutters without someone standing by to help or hold the ladder sturdy, and never attempt to do a job that could cause you serious injury. Alpine Gutters & Downspouts is in the business of providing you with the proper tools, experienced installers and maintenance crews, and affordable systems for all budgets.
A Word on Power Lines
When cleaning gutters around a power cable that descends from the power pole to the roof of a building, it is imperative that you do a visual inspection of the electrical cable first, where it connects to the roof. This ensures that the protective wire insulation hasn’t rubbed off.
If you notice that the cable appears to have some significant damage, do not attempt to take this into your own hands. It is essential to call a licensed professional electrical contractor to fix the issue immediately. If it is raining and there is an electrical wire problem, do not attempt to clean out the gutters until the cables are fixed. Water is a formidable conductor of electricity and can cause serious harm.
Procedure for Common Sense Gutter Cleaning
If you understand the importance of clean gutters, have some experience cleaning them, and the danger risk is minimum, here are some quick tips for getting a jump start on this task before the winter weather sets in:
- Ensure large tree limbs with falling leaves are pruned away from your gutter system to prevent more leaves from clogging it
- Wear protective clothing, gloves, and mask
- Have an extendable ladder and spotter with you
- Have a scooper handy to get all the debris out, and a garden hose to rinse it all down through the downspout
- Have a garbage bag handy for debris
This can give you a good start on the cleaning of your gutter systems, but it is not the end result. You may want to hire a professional company such as Alpine Gutters & Downspouts to check out your system and see where there may be issues in the future. Let us provide you with a detailed inspection to get the most out of your gutters year round.
Remember, gutter systems are a huge help for your home and can save you a lot of headaches in the long run. But they are a solution that requires ongoing cleaning and checking. Gutters and downspouts must be inspected at regular intervals twice a year, more if our area sees heavier snowfalls or lots of rain and wind. The importance of clean gutters is that the system acts as a raincoat. It will help in common weather situations, but will not endure in extreme situations if it’s not cared for properly. Always check on your gutters to see if they are in stable condition.
Now that you are aware of the importance of clean gutters, give Alpine Gutters & Downspouts a call today for an estimate on cleaning, repairs or maintenance. We look forward to hearing from you and giving you the best quality gutter systems, as well as friendly and responsive service.
September 20, 2017
Benefits of Installing a Gutter Protection System
Have you ever thought about the benefits of installing a gutter protection system on your Denver home? At Alpine Gutters & Downspouts, we know how important it is to protect your gutters. They also protect your home from damage that could be incredibly costly. Today, we’ll cover even more reasons why you should consider installing a professional gutter system.
So why do you need gutter protection in the first place? Well, it's simple. Your gutters are doing the bulk load of work when the rain and snow comes, and that means added stress. They need a little help sometimes to run at optimum levels, and that’s where a gutter protection system can help out by alleviating clogs and overflows caused by leaves, dirt, debris and more.
Not only does a gutter protection system look good around your home, aesthetically speaking, it also enhances resale value and curb appeal. Not to mention that, by protecting structures and features – such as walkways, landscape and sitting areas – from water damage, your home will always have a pleasing and manicured look. The seamless designs and bends of the system add to the continuity of your roofline as well, making it flow better to the eye.
Maintenance is minimal when it comes to gutter protection systems because they allow a normal breeze to blow away the majority of dirt, leaves, debris, and more. Plus, animals will no longer be trying to build a nest in your gutters because there is no way to enter. That means less work for you, and no unsafe high ladders to climb on the cold fall days.
Water damage is a big downside if you do not have gutter protection. Overflowing gutters are just a domino effect for worse things to come around the home such as destroyed tiles and roof, pooling around the home, which eventually penetrates the soil and enters into your basement or foundation. One of the big benefits of installing a gutter protection system is that you don’t have to worry too much about these types of issues.
Clogged gutters can eventually destroy your current gutter system which will cost you more in the long run. Protect what you have by installing a gutter protection system soon. Mold, mildew and bacterial growth will be just some of the issues you'll eventually experience, making your home an unhealthy environment. Keeping rain water flowing freely is exactly the goal here, and the right system for you will do the job.
There are a variety of gutter systems to consider, but here at Alpine Gutters & Downspouts, we highly recommend Leaf Relief. Our customers love this product and independent testing showed that it was 100% effective against typical gutter enemies like leaves and debris.
Now that you understand the benefits of installing a gutter protection system, contact Alpine Gutters & Downspouts today to learn more about our services. We are confident you will enjoy our virtually maintenance free gutter protection systems. Call for your appointment!
September 7, 2017
How to Recognize and Fix a Clogged Gutter
Today, Alpine Gutters & Downspouts in Denver shares how to recognize and fix a clogged gutter. If you have a run in with your gutter system, be sure to call on our qualified experts who know how to rectify the situation promptly and properly. A clogged gutter can cause severe damage to your Denver home, including landscaping, driveways, walkways, and even your roof. So, don’t delay!
When it comes to how to recognize and fix a clogged gutter, start with the symptoms. You may be experiencing the following:
- Water spilling over the edges of gutter
- Spraying water from gutter seams and elbow joints
- There is no water flow out the bottom of downspout extensions
- The earth directly below the gutter is slowly being eroding and disrupted
- The siding and fascia are showing signs of peeling paint
- Signs of wet, moist, or dirty siding underneath the gutter areas
- Gutters are pulling away from the fascia which is usually caused by too much weight from clogged gutters
Finding where the gutter is clogged is your next move. You will want to look at the downspout wire cage and ensure it is not full of debris, bent or broken. You will find this where the downspout meets the gutter. Replace if necessary. Next, look for the gutter hangers and spikes that may have slipped off from the fascia or become lodged in the gutters, backing up debris. And finally, seams and downspout elbows are a great way to recognize and fix a clogged gutter, all you have to do is take a small screwdriver and gently tap along the downspout and gutter and listen for a dull thud, which indicates a clog. Remember, some clogs could be underground and will likely need a professional gutter cleaning.
So now you have found the clog. If you are confident you can fix it yourself, here are the steps:
- Remove and clean it thoroughly.
- Remove all debris in the gutter.
- If the cage is not damaged too badly, reattach it into the downspout hole.
- Replace any damaged screens or cages.
- If the clog is caused by loose hangers or spikes, clean debris, reposition gutter supports.
- If the clog is at a seam or elbow, try to free the object using a snake or long object to push it out, or gently pressure wash it. If you can reach the elbow or seam, simply disconnect and clean.
- If your clog is below ground, try using a snake or telescopic scope to clean it out, you can also use a hose to try to dislodge the jam, but if you are not making any headway, you should opt to call on the professionals for gutter cleaning to avoid further damaging any areas.
While you now know how to recognize and fix a clogged gutter with these easy steps, be sure to take safety precautions. Never attempt to ascend a steep roofline without help or a professional company such as Alpine Gutters and Downspouts. It is surprising, just how many falls occur each year from people trying to attempt to clean or fix their gutters! We are the leading company that knows how to safely protect your home with superior quality gutters, downspouts and even seamless gutter solutions that are virtually maintenance free. Give us a call today for a free quote.