Your home’s gutter system is responsible for keeping your house weatherproof and protected from the elements. Alpine Gutters & Downspouts are the experts on gutter cleaning and why it’s so important to maintain a cleaning schedule for your gutters.
Clogged gutters will shut down the flow of water and cause unnecessary damage to the exterior of your home as well as the interior. If you replace or repair damaged gutters before it’s too late, you’ll avoid the many issues that can happen over prolonged periods of not cleaning your gutters properly:
- Cracked foundations and leaking basements are the number one effect of improper gutter care. When water from the roof overflows because of a clogged gutter, it often heads to the basement. Over time water can wear away the foundation, weakening it and causing cracks to form. Of course, water can also damage personal items and structural elements.
Rotting fascia boards due to excess moisture will destroy roofs and cost a fortune to fix.
Landscape erosion resulting from gutters that are damaged or clogged and dump water onto your yard versus having it drained away from plants and landscape.
Animals and insects will be attracted to a clogged gutter and make themselves comfortable. Mosquitos will see it as a great breeding ground. Mice could nest. You may even find a plant or two growing inside your clogged or dammed
Sagging walkways and driveways can form by the excess runoff of water over time.
Ice dams are a grave concern here in Colorado where our winters can be fierce. If the water freezes inside the gutter because it is clogged, the water will eventually thaw and drip into the home. The weight of the ice dam could also rip the gutters right off the side of your house.
Brick and mortar may erode and discolor.
Foul odors may occur from standing or stagnant water.
Overall, water will do nothing but harm the overall foundation of what your home sits on, and should be dealt with immediately.
Alpine Gutters & Downspouts suggests cleaning your gutters twice a year in the spring and fall. You will need to have this done more often if you live in an area with many trees around or heavy snowfall. It is wise to do routine checks of your gutters to ensure they are clean and free of debris. So, when you are out in the yard, be sure to take a quick glance to see how your gutters are holding up.
If you suspect that your gutters are clogged or in disrepair, Alpine Gutters & Downspouts is only a call away for professional gutter cleaning services and advice. We always suggest that the professionals take care of this situation to avoid injuries or falls. If you believe that you can take the matter into your own hands, however, then we do have some words of caution to share:
- Always have someone with you to hold the ladder and be a spotter. Falls happen unexpectedly but are easily avoidable.
- A strong but light aluminum ladder is perfect for the job. Ensure it is in good condition and has a shelf for your debris bucket.
- Use a garden hose with a pistol grip nozzle to help push the debris away in your gutters.
- A gutter scoop is the perfect tool to dig out the gunk and won’t scratch the bottom of your gutters, making it susceptible to rust.
- Thick suede gloves should be used to protect hands from cuts and bacteria from animal feces.
- Eye protection is a must; you may be surprised by flying insects, bees or debris coming up and injuring your eyes.
- Be sure to power wash the roof and rake off leaves to prevent re-damming in your gutters.
- Rubber shoes or boots should be worn to protect from slipping on slick surfaces.
- Don’t forget to unclog the downspout. Run water into the gutter to check if it flows before you come down from the roof.
- Do a visual inspection of power line hazards, especially if you are near them on the roof.
How much does it cost for gutter cleaning by professionals? Well, in our area it sometimes depends on the number of stories, square feet of the home, the pitch of the roof, the type of roofing material, and how much dirt and debris there is to remove. Some companies will also charge travel time and have debris take away fees. You’re looking at an average of $105 to $245. The factors above will significantly affect the price charged, so it’s important to get a quote.
You may also look into protecting gutters from leaves. There are many varieties on the market, some good, some not so good, so be sure to do your research. The basic concept of the protective system is a screen that covers the gutter to help block debris, leaves, and animals from entering, therefore, allowing the water to flow continuously without problems or backups. The system fits standard gutters and is also available in copper. It is a great option to eliminate tedious maintenance, or at least minimize it.
Another great option is a seamless gutter system. Although more expensive, the concept is smart. There are no sections or ridges in a seamless gutter, so debris does not affect the flow. The only connecting points would be the downspout and the corners. There will be some initial costs with installation, and depending on the type of material you choose, that may raise the price also. Again, start with a quote.
Now you know all about gutter cleaning and why it’s so important, so don’t procrastinate the task. While it may not be high on your lists of things to do, remember that it’s your home’s protective shield from the elements. If you don’t have the time or just want to skip it altogether, you’re also welcome to get in touch with Alpine Gutters and Downspouts. We’ll help you clean, maintain and repair any gutter issues you may encounter. Call us today for a quote.