Today, Alpine Gutters & Downspouts in Denver shares how to recognize and fix a clogged gutter. If you have a run in with your gutter system, be sure to call on our qualified experts who know how to rectify the situation promptly and properly. A clogged gutter can cause severe damage to your Denver home, including landscaping, driveways, walkways, and even your roof. So, don’t delay!
When it comes to how to recognize and fix a clogged gutter, start with the symptoms. You may be experiencing the following:
- Water spilling over the edges of gutter
- Spraying water from gutter seams and elbow joints
- There is no water flow out the bottom of downspout extensions
- The earth directly below the gutter is slowly being eroding and disrupted
- The siding and fascia are showing signs of peeling paint
- Signs of wet, moist, or dirty siding underneath the gutter areas
- Gutters are pulling away from the fascia which is usually caused by too much weight from clogged gutters
Finding where the gutter is clogged is your next move. You will want to look at the downspout wire cage and ensure it is not full of debris, bent or broken. You will find this where the downspout meets the gutter. Replace if necessary. Next, look for the gutter hangers and spikes that may have slipped off from the fascia or become lodged in the gutters, backing up debris. And finally, seams and downspout elbows are a great way to recognize and fix a clogged gutter, all you have to do is take a small screwdriver and gently tap along the downspout and gutter and listen for a dull thud, which indicates a clog. Remember, some clogs could be underground and will likely need a professional gutter cleaning.
So now you have found the clog. If you are confident you can fix it yourself, here are the steps:
- Remove and clean it thoroughly.
- Remove all debris in the gutter.
- If the cage is not damaged too badly, reattach it into the downspout hole.
- Replace any damaged screens or cages.
- If the clog is caused by loose hangers or spikes, clean debris, reposition gutter supports.
- If the clog is at a seam or elbow, try to free the object using a snake or long object to push it out, or gently pressure wash it. If you can reach the elbow or seam, simply disconnect and clean.
- If your clog is below ground, try using a snake or telescopic scope to clean it out, you can also use a hose to try to dislodge the jam, but if you are not making any headway, you should opt to call on the professionals for gutter cleaning to avoid further damaging any areas.
While you now know how to recognize and fix a clogged gutter with these easy steps, be sure to take safety precautions. Never attempt to ascend a steep roofline without help or a professional company such as Alpine Gutters and Downspouts. It is surprising, just how many falls occur each year from people trying to attempt to clean or fix their gutters! We are the leading company that knows how to safely protect your home with superior quality gutters, downspouts and even seamless gutter solutions that are virtually maintenance free. Give us a call today for a free quote.